Prof. Dr. Gerhard Wegner
Main research interests
Gerhard Wegner’s broad research interests range from the Chemistry and Physics of Polymers to the Organic Solid state Chemistry.
His specific areas of research are:
- chain-stiffness as a structural principle in the design of novel macromolecular materials
- solid polyelectrolytes and ion conductors
- polymers as semiconductors and optical materials
- synthesis and evaluation of polymer surfactants
- mineralization processes controlled by polymers
- characterization of polymer structures by quantitative methods (X-ray scattering, electron microscopy, light scattering).
Gerhard Wegner joined the Max Planck Society in 1983 as one of the founders of the Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research and retired in January 2008. In the course of his career, he published over 600 articles in refereed journals. Prof. Wegner continues to work on specialized subjects.